Flight Club or Flight School is one of the oldest Minigames available in the game, existing every since its very beginning, the Minigame itself was build with the intention of helping players learn how to fly and glide with a Dragon as well as another method of leveling your Dragon's level. It was once located in The School like Fireball Frenzy and Thunder Run Racing before being moved to Training Grounds in v1.9.0, October 15th, 2014.
While the player technically needs at the least a Lvl. 5 Dragon to use in Active Dragon Mode, Maximum Viking Power! is the quest that introduces the Minigame. The purpose of Flight Club is to go through an obstacle course (either filled with hoops or targets) and/or collecting flags with the optional sheep as fast as possible.
Flight Club can be accessed in Training Grounds by entering through the door or from the Viking Menu under Minigames, do beware as Speed Stingers are prohibited from entering Flight Club due to their inability to fly. If the player accessed Flight Club for the first time, the player will get a Flight Club Tutorial. Upon entering, the player will be given a menu with two modes:
- Glide Mode;
- Flight Mode - Flight Mode is divided in 2 Sub-Modes;
It's worth noting the overall Dragon's flight speed is different from the overworld but is the same for Thunder Run Racing, one could say Flight Club helps players prepare for the Racing's flight speed changes.
Pickable are main source of getting points, they're often used in multiple levels, specially in Glide Mode. In spite of all having the same score (100 Points), these have two kinds of Pickables:
The most common pickable of all, Flags server as the main source of points in most of the levels, they have a rather wide hitbox built to safe the player from having hitbox troubles during their flying test. Each level has a set of flags that player is required to collect, the lower the amount of flags they collect, the more their score will drastically decrease and affect the Grade.
The Bonus Sheep however has a much smaller hitbox and it's often located in rather tricky locations where players need to either tightly dive or turn. Not every level as it though when it does, due to the sheep being small and occasionally blend in despite the yellow glow, players are often prone to either miss it or ignore it completely as risking their run through the level for an extra 100 Points can be considered as unworth it by some.
Rings are a second method of earning points in Flight Club, they're introduced in Swoop Loops (Flight Mode) and just like the Checkpoints in Thunder Run Racing, the player has to fly through them in order to earn its points. As the player progresses, some of the ring placements will start to fall favorable to some species and unfavorable to others, take for example The Twister, dragons with a slower and dragging Turn Rate can fall victims to constant crashing and lose of control due to how tightly the rings are placed.
Targets are the third method of earning points in Flight Club, they're introduced in Bank and Burn (Flight Mode) and much like the targets at the Training Grounds, the player has to shoot down the targets in order to earn its points. Before the Battle Event Update, firing all the targets would often be a challenge due to the recharge time; nowadays, the difficulty of shooting all the targets depend on the Dragon's Cooldown, Range and Nº of Shots, if th Dragon has a slower Cooldown, shorter Range, and/or low Nº of Shots, then firing all the Targets may become a challenge since the Targets were build for the old Firing mechanism, therefore the placement of the Targets do not depend on the Dragon's stats
There's a total of 3 Power-ups for the player to collect and use them in the levels, they can be found in the Qeustion Mark Crates that appear in the levels, with the Speed boost being available at both the store for 5 (4 for Members) and in Mystery Power-Up boxes from Old Wrinkly's Cauldron.
The Speed Boost fucntions in the exact same way as Thunder Run Racing's Speed Boost, for a total of 4 seconds, the Dragon's speed will be multiplied by 1.1 (for example, a Monstrous Nightmare's Max. Speed increases from 7.5 to 8.2). While the concept along sounds excellent and aidful to the player, it's advised to only use the power-up in a straight line as steering while under influence of the power-up is more difficult and prone to crashing or lose control of your dragon entirely.
The Extra Time will stops the main clock and give you 5 extra seconds simultaneously, it has a similiar fucntion to the Extra Time in Fireball Frenzy, though instead of locking you still, it lets you keep on going. It's useful to make up for the time you've potentially lost when trying to get on track or the aftermatch of a crash.
The Magnet does exactly what a magnet does, it attrachs Pickups from afar for a total of 10 seconds, it's useful to get the Bonus Sheep which that along is prone to be ignored or missed by most of the players.
Upon finishing a Lesson, the player will get a result screen which includes your Score, Time it took you to beat, Pickups gotten, and received, and the Grade, the Grade is what allows you to unlock the next level as well as necessary for Flight Club Achievements, there's 5 Grades all dependant of your performance.
The scoring system is what determines your Grade, though the equation for the score depends on what the level consists in:
- If the level doesn't have collectables then [time left in seconds] * 10, the "time left in seconds" is a natural number for example, 1.5s = 10 Points. The only level here this rule applies is the first level of Glide Mode;
- If there are collectables then score = ([time left] * 10) + ([collectables gotten] * 100), this time the 1.5s means 15 Points and the both the Sheep, Flag, Target and Ring are 100 Points.
Flight Club is home to hoards of Achievements, it's the Minigame with the most Achievements available for the player to complete.
|Learn to Fly||Complete 1 Flight Club Lesson.|
|Top of the Class||Earn an A+ on 1 Flight Club lesson.|
|Meatlug's Friend||Earn A+ on 3 Gronckle Lessons.|
|Tunnel Flyer||Earn A+ on 3 Whispering Death Lessons.|
|Toothless and Friends||Earn A+ on 5 Night Fury Lessons.|
|The Rules of Flight Club||Complete 10 different Flight Club lessons.|
|Complete 15 different Flight Club lessons.|
|Complete 20 different Flight Club lessons.|
|Complete 25 different Flight Club lessons.|
|Steady Dragon Rider||Earn an A+ on 5 Flight Club lessons.|
|Earn an A+ on 15 Flight Club lessons.|
|Earn an A+ on 20 Flight Club lessons.|
|Earn an A+ on 25 Flight Club lessons.|
- In the Basic Levels of both Flight and Glide Mode, if the player either flies up to it or uses the Debug Camera to look inside the School's Caldera, players will see the old School map from 2013-2014 Era.
- 1.01, 18/7/13: Fixed teen tutorials not appearing, adjusted payouts for A+ grades rewarding correctly, balanced Flight Club levels;
- 2.0, 8/8/13: 5 new adult levels, GUI alignment fixes in Flight Club, Flight Club balancing, reduced firing cooldown, countdown added, fixed bug of Toothless starting too early;
- 3.0, 29/8/13: Introduced Meatlug, glide mode is now available for adults;
- 3.1, 2/9/13: Fixed star not appearing in Flight Club;
- 4.0, 12/9/13: Fixed Flight Club score, fixed achievement star in FC, fixed player being unable to launch 2nd new dragon class level in FC after completing the 1st, fixed player being automatically mounted on their dragon when exiting FC, fixed dragon pictures showing up in FC, fixed bug with the star in FC if you left and came back, fixed bug that happened in FC if player didn’t have a dragon, balanced pass on all FC levels, added 5 Dragon Class levels to Toohless;
- 4.1, 13/9/2013: Fixed name inconstancies in hero dragon levels;
- 4.2, 27/9/2013: Added Dragon Class levels to Barf and Belch and Thornado, patched a hole in one of Meatlug's levels, fixed rings randomly not working in various Flight Club levels, fixed level name inconsistencies in Flight Club, updated Hero Dragon tips;
- 5.0, 10/10/2013: Introduced Stormfly, fixed FC flow to get people into flying with Hero Dragons quicker, fixed bug with Thornado shooting downwards when no target is present, fixed issue of star not unlocking for some players;
- 5.4, 20/11/2013: Introduced Stokehead, added more tutorials into Hero Dragons;
- 5.5, 21/11/13: Fixed improper count appearing in the Unified result Screen under Rings and Pick Ups for the FC levels 3, 10 & 14 and for the 2nd Dragon class level of Stokehead;
- 5.8, 12/12/13: Handling tweaks made on Stokehead Dragon Class Levels, fixed issues with the fog particles in the Barf & Belch Dragon class Levels;
- 6.0, 13/2/2014: Hookfang is now free, fixed mobile FC controls, fixed mobile Barf and Belch levels, balanced and added more time to Groundsplitter's 3rd level, adjusted FC scores, fixed gas particles in mobile, fixed lag in Toothless Dragon Class levels, fixed Whispering Death's fireball not firing once try to quit and hit no and come back to game, Flags/Pickup/Rings UI disappears on pausing and un-pausing any level in FC;
- 6.1, 11/4/2014: Added better FC tutorial, fixed Groundsplitter Dragon Class levels in mobile, fixed FPS in Scary Swamp Soar and Danger Sector, fixed issue with Unlocked level in teen mode, gets locked if player completes any unlocked level in adult mode, fixed joystick appearing in completion screens.
|Non-Member Minigames:||Location Specific||Berk (Blacksmith • Loki's Maze) • The School (Alchemy Adventure † • Science Experiments) • Stables (Stable Missions) • The Lookout (Job Board • The Farm) • Training Grounds (Battle Events • Bull's-Eye Lagoon † • Fireball Frenzy • Flight Club • Thunder Run Racing)|
|Other||Eel Roast • Fishing|
|The Secret of Leviathan||Cogs • Incredible Machine|
|Rise of Stormheart||Dragon Tactics|