The Flightmare is a Mystery Class dragon released on August 6th, 2014. It can be purchased for 750 gems (600 for members).
As for V2.3.0, in the intro sequence, the Flightmare is one of the four Secondary Starter Dragons that can appear caged, most likely to unlock the Stable Missions without needing to buy a new dragon (the player still has to choose their actual starter dragon).
On April 13th, 2020, the Flightmare received a price adjustment and was reduced to 250 Gems (200 for members).
From the How to Train Your Dragon Wiki:
- "The Flightmare is a medium-sized dragon that has a very ghost-like appearance. Its body is covered in tiny spots that almost resembles the night sky.
- "From what has been seen, the Flightmare is a very aggressive and territorial dragon, being very protective of it's territory and food sources. Seeing how Flightmares are build for speed and defense, they usually avoid fights with bigger and stronger dragons. Flightmares have been shown to be quite determined, as the Flightmare in Fright of Passage kept chasing his opponents, and was willing to search food over long distances. They seem to be quite reclusive and avoid contact with humans, unless, they get in the way of their algae, or if they think that they do."
For more information on the Flightmare, click here.
Quest: Skrill DiversionEdit
The dragon itself is not seen in this quest, but a Flightmare nest is found. Flightmares apparently nest inside icy caves, in a cold (polar) environment like Scuttleclaw Island. The nest is a large and flattened mound of snow, and the dragon lays a single egg.
Quest: Plan in MotionEdit
The player is reminded that the Flightmare produce a paralyzing mist, that has glowing properties. This mist can freeze and be stored as ice on the walls of the nest cave. The Flightmare ice retain its glow, and looks like blue ice. The paralyzing properties are only active when the mist is in gaseous form, while it's inoffensive in liquid or solid (ice) form.
The Blue Overlay ControversyEdit
It's no secret the Flightmare is known for its beautiful glowing skin caused by the Algae they eat in rivers, though oddly enough, in School of Dragons, the Flightmare never included said feature since its release and suggestions involving the addition of a Flightmare Glow skin has been one of the biggest on-going suggestions since 2014. In the next and following years, School of Dragons would offer temporary Flightmare Glowing skins starting around in 2015 with the release of an Harvest Haunt/Dreadfall Exclusive glowing skin, which evolved into a seperate mechanism involving Vials of Algae Glow which allows any Dragon have a glowing skin.
In Dreadfall of October 10th, 2019, the Flightmare received a Glowing Skin though due to past events also implementing the same mechanism, players genuinely thought it was part of the Dreadfall Update until in February 13th, 2020, an user contacted the Jumpstart Support and confirmed the change to be permanent.
The community displayed disblief and displeasure for the change, accusing it of ruining the entire Dragon to the point of some players outright refusing to use the Dragon due to the blueish tint it permanently has now. However, some did grew skeptical of the explanation, calling it just an excuse for being unable to fix a glitch and instead deem it as a mere "feature". There was also an user who reported owning a Flightmare unaffected by the Update.
But the controversy didn't halted there as players not only did a memorial two days after the confirmation dedicated to the Flightmares affected by the Update but an "I Glow" Movement was also done in honor of the Flightmares that were affected.. When the SoD Admins announced a Flightmare Sale, some players rioted against it by:
- Uploading I Glow banners;
- Admitting feeling insulted or offended by the Flightmare Sale, accusing them of "touching a sore wound" after making a dreadful change;
- Demanding the change to be halted and bring back the "freedom of coloring a Flightmare"
Players also weren't happy to see the Flightmare Dragon Armor, the final prize before the Dragons from Dreadfall Event also appear and permanently stay at the store. To this day, the Flightmare still displays the Blue Glow with a rare exception of the few Flightmares who weren't affected by the change.
- November 9th, 2015: The Flightmare received a new animation.
- September 30th, 2016: The Titan Stage was released.
- October 10, 2019: The Flightmare received a permanent blue overlay
- When the Baby Flightmare fires, something strange pops from the model for a few seconds. This has been fixed.
- Just like the Hotburple and the Scauldron, The Warpaint does not replace the Hero skin with the custom skin.
- This has been updated, the skin will now show the custom colors.
- It's unknown why was the Flightmare chosen to be one of the Secondary Starter Dragons and not a member-starter instead;
- In October 10th, 2019, the Flightmare now has a special, pale blue glowing skin overlay that will stay permanently in reference to Dreadfall's origin;
- ↑ http://forum.schoolofdragons.com/content/glowing-flightmare
- ↑ http://forum.schoolofdragons.com/content/how-make-your-flightmare-glow
- ↑ http://forum.schoolofdragons.com/content/does-your-flightmare-glow
- ↑ http://forum.schoolofdragons.com/content/glowing-dragons-dreadfall
- ↑ http://forum.schoolofdragons.com/content/flightmare-recoloring-glitch
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 http://forum.schoolofdragons.com/content/important-about-flightmare-colors
- ↑ http://forum.schoolofdragons.com/content/important-about-flightmare-colors#comment-812906
- ↑ http://forum.schoolofdragons.com/content/important-about-flightmare-colors#comment-812911
- ↑ http://forum.schoolofdragons.com/content/important-about-flightmare-colors#comment-812943
- ↑ http://forum.schoolofdragons.com/content/important-about-flightmare-colors#comment-812952
- ↑ http://forum.schoolofdragons.com/content/important-about-flightmare-colors#comment-812968
- ↑ http://forum.schoolofdragons.com/content/important-about-flightmare-colors#comment-812937
- ↑ http://forum.schoolofdragons.com/content/flightmare-memorial
- ↑ http://forum.schoolofdragons.com/content/i-glow-movement-requestable-banners
- ↑ http://forum.schoolofdragons.com/content/flightmare-bundle-sale
- ↑ http://forum.schoolofdragons.com/content/flightmare-bundle-sale#comment-822322
- ↑ http://forum.schoolofdragons.com/content/flightmare-bundle-sale#comment-822325
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 http://forum.schoolofdragons.com/content/flightmare-bundle-sale#comment-822331
- ↑ http://forum.schoolofdragons.com/content/flightmare-bundle-sale#comment-823050
- ↑ http://forum.schoolofdragons.com/content/flightmare-bundle-sale#comment-822502
- ↑ http://forum.schoolofdragons.com/content/experience-new-flight-animations-flightmare
|Level||Attack Power||Fire Power||Healing Power||Health|
|Boneknapper||Buffalord||Crimson Goregutter||Deadly Nadder||Death Song|
|Hideous Zippleback||Hobgobbler||Monstrous Nightmare||Razorwhip||Rumblehorn|
|Sand Wraith||Scauldron||Stormcutter||Scuttleclaw||Screaming Death|
|Sentinel||Shockjaw||Skrill||Snow Wraith||Speed Stinger|
|Thunderdrum||Timberjack||Triple Stryke||Terrible Terror||Whispering Death|